In today’s world, where information is readily available at our fingertips, accessing legal information should be no different. With the rise of digital platforms, searching for judgments should not be a tedious and time-consuming task. Fortunately, the Indian legal system has made it possible to access judgments online, and in this article, we’ll be discussing the free judgment search portal in India, everything you need to know about it, and how it can make your life easier.
What is a Free Judgment Search Portal in India?
A free judgment search portal is an online platform that provides access to court judgments for free. The Indian legal system has several such portals, which can be accessed by anyone with an internet connection. These portals are managed by different organizations, including the government and private entities.
One such portal is the National Judicial Data Grid (NJDG), which is managed by the Department of Justice, Ministry of Law and Justice, Government of India. This portal provides information on cases, case status, and judgments from district courts, high courts, and the Supreme Court of India. The portal is updated regularly, ensuring that users have access to the latest information.
Why Use a Free Judgment Search Portal?
Using a free judgment search portal has several benefits, including:
- Access to Information: A free judgment search portal provides access to a vast collection of legal information, which can be used for research or reference purposes.
- Time-Saving: The traditional method of accessing legal information involves visiting a law library, which can be time-consuming. Using a free judgment search portal saves time and provides access to information instantly.
- Cost-Effective: Free judgment search portals are cost-effective, as they eliminate the need for physical copies of judgments or the need to subscribe to expensive legal databases.
- User-Friendly: Free judgment search portals are designed to be user-friendly and easy to navigate, making it easy for anyone to access legal information.
How to Use a Free Judgment Search Portal?
Using a free judgment search portal is a simple process. Here are the steps to follow:
- Visit the Portal: The first step is to visit the portal. Depending on the portal you’re using, you may need to create an account to access the information.
- Search for Judgments: Once you’ve logged in, you can search for judgments using different criteria, including the case number, case title, judge name, or date of the judgment.
- View the Judgment: Once you’ve found the judgment you’re looking for, you can view it online or download a copy for offline use.
- What is the National Judicial Data Grid (NJDG)?
The National Judicial Data Grid is a free judgment search portal managed by the Department of Justice, Ministry of Law and Justice, Government of India. It provides information on cases, case status, and judgments from district courts, high courts, and the Supreme Court of India.
- Are all judgments available on free judgment search portals?
No, not all judgments are available on free judgment search portals. Some portals may have limited access, and some judgments may not be available for public viewing.
- Can I rely on free judgment search portals for legal research?
Yes, free judgment search portals can be used for legal research, but it’s essential to cross-check the information with other sources to ensure accuracy.
- Is there a limit to the number of judgments I can view on a free judgment search portal?
It depends on the portal you’re using. Some portals have a daily limit on the number of judgments that can be viewed, while others have no limit.
- Can I use a free judgment search portal to file a case or appeal a judgment?
No, free judgment search portals are for information purposes only